Dr. Heather Wardle, Ph.D., will discuss how Great Britain has one of the most liberal regimes for gambling in the world, where both online gambling (including in-play betting, online casino games/slots/poker) and a variety of land-based forms of gambling are available. In 2007, the Gambling Act 2005 was fully enacted which aimed to promote gambling as a valid leisure activity and allowed gambling to be advertised and marketed fully for the first time. This class looks at what the impact of this has been and draws out lessons for places who are starting now to go through the same process.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand two major shifts in British culture resulting from of the liberalization of gambling
- Learn a major, recent regulatory change to reduce the social impact of marketing and advertising
- Examine the relationship between marketing and profits in Britain’s gambling industry
- Topic 1: The growth of gambling in Britain
- Topic 2: The economics of the Gambling industry
- Topic 3: Advertising, sponsorship and marketing – key lessons
- Topic 4: the globalization of gambling
- Topic 5: Implications for policy and practice
This workshop is 1.5 hours in length. It is FREE to attend.
Please contact us if you have any questions.
Start by clicking on Welcome to Problem Gambling Training Summit.